Website National Conference of State Legislatures
NCSL’s Denver-based Children and Families Program seeks a Senior Policy Specialist with expertise in early child policies and practices. This position reports to the program director responsible for early care and education and child welfare. Additional expertise in child welfare policies and practices is desirable. Applicants should have a background in public policy, human services, secondary research or political science. Professional experience in communications, public affairs or civic engagement is also desired. This position will be responsible for contributing to a culture of program innovation and excellence and ensuring NCSL’s work is completed in an objective and nonpartisan manner. Air travel is required approximately 8 times per year. Most trips are for one to three nights.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Anticipate emerging issues of importance to state legislatures and initiate research, technical assistance, or educational programs in response.
- Conduct complex translational research with an understanding of political context, and provide substantive policy interpretations, guidance and support to legislators and legislative staff.
- Write skillfully and with minimal need for editing for a range of publications, including reports, newsletters, blogs and magazine articles.
- Develop and maintain relationships with state, federal and other governmental officials, public interest group and private-sector organizations.
- Represent NCSL in substantive discussions and explain and interpret NCSL programs and policies.
- Plan, organize and conduct comprehensive and politically neutral technical assistance programs, conferences, webinars and other educational events.
- Manage projects on time and on budget, ensuring outputs are relevant to NCSL’s members, politically neutral and of high quality.
- Assist with developing new project concepts and supporting grant-writing and funder relations.
- May manage and staff a committee, task force, staff section, subcommittee, advisory group or ongoing working group.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org